Originally introduced in 2017, the sixth-generation Hyundai Elantra received fairly safe styling. Now for 2019 and with a middle cycle refresh, Hyundai is going bold.
New exterior design changes include:
- New hood, front fenders, front fascia, grille and headlights
- New trunk, taillights and rear fascia
- New 16- and 17-inch wheel designs
- New 15-inch alloy wheel design on Eco trim
- LED headlights applied to Limited and Sport trim
Available later this fall, the front and rear styling of the Elantra gets sharp and angular lines. From the side the changes aren’t as clear when compared to the previous models but the front and rear are in your face.
The changes to the interior aren’t as bold as the exterior changes but they are still noticeable. The updates include:
- New center cluster:
- Air vents
- AVN/Audio/Temperature controls
- Storage tray
- New instrument cluster and housing
Hyundai says that the 2019 Elantra will also receive it’s next generation AVN 5.0 infotainment system. The system has an upgraded processor for better responsiveness and the 8-inch screen is 1-inch larger than the previous 7-inch screen. Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™ are also available.
“Refinements to both the interior and exterior were initiated on the 2019 Elantra to maintain its emotional design character and include affordable and desired features,” said Scott Margason, director, product planning, Hyundai. “The hood, front fenders, fascia, grille and headlights as well as the rear fascia, trunk and taillights each have been redesigned to convey a catchy and confident image. On the rear of the vehicle, the license plate has been relocated to the lower fascia to further enhance the new body sculpture.”
A number of safety features have also been added to the 2019 Elantra. The SEL level trim and above receive:
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (camera-only type) that is designed to help detect and monitor the vehicle ahead and warn the driver if a collision may be imminent. The system also initiates automatic braking when it detects a slower or stopped vehicle ahead.
- Lane Keep Assist that detects the lane on the road and may apply steering wheel control if the vehicle leaves the lane when the vehicle speed is over 40 mph.
- Driver Attention Alert that warns the driver of tired driving patterns with an audible alert and visual warning displayed on the instrument cluster.
SmartSense features included on the Elantra Limited with Ultimate Package include:
- Safe Exit Assist that may sound an alert when a vehicle approaches from behind letting passengers know it may not be safe to open the door to exit the vehicle.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection is a technology that utilizes both the front forward-facing radar and camera through sensor fusion to help detect a vehicle or pedestrian, and warn the driver of a potential collision. If the driver does not react to avoid the impact, the system may apply emergency braking in certain circumstances.
Additional Smart Sense Safety features include:
- Blind-Spot Collision Warning with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and Lane Change Assist.
Engine options for the Elantra SE, SEL and Limited are the Nu 2.0L MPI Atkinson Cycle engine with 147 hp @6200 RPM. The Eco model has a Kappa 1.4L Turbo-GDI with 128 hp @5500 RPM.
The Sport model will debut later in 2018 with similar changes as the rest of the lineup. The engine in the Elantra Sport trim will be a 1.6L Turbo-GDI engine with 201 hp @6000 RPM mated to a 6-speed manual transmission or available seven-speed dual clutch transmission.
Pricing for the 2019 Elantra is as follows:
- SE 2.0L 4-cylinder 6-speed Manual Transmission $17,100
- SE 2.0L 4-cylinder 6-speed Automatic Transmission with SHIFTRONIC® $18,100
- SEL 2.0L 4-cylinder 6-speed Automatic Transmission with SHIFTRONIC® $19,400
- Value 2.0L 4-cylinder 6-speed Automatic Transmission with SHIFTRONIC® $20,400
- Eco 1.4L Turbo GDI 4-cylinder 7-speed EcoShift® Dual Clutch Transmission with SHIFTRONIC® $20,950
- Limited 2.0L 4-cylinder 6-speed Automatic Transmission with SHIFTRONIC® $22,600
- Sport 1.6L Turbo GDI 4-cylinder 6-speed Manual Transmission $22,400
- Sport 1.6L Turbo GDI 4-cylinder 7-speed EcoShift® Dual Clutch Transmission with SHIFTRONIC® $23,500